When a visitor hits your landing page, you want to grab their attention instantly with a killer headline. Many people attempt to create exciting headlines, but fail miserably. This is because they do not stick to the rules of creating headlines that will grab the visitor and draw them into your page. Good squeeze pages that sell have great headlines.
Here are some guidelines to creating killer headlines.
· Short and sweet. No one wants to read a long, rambling headline that goes on for three lines. The headline needs to be short and to the point.
· Centre your headlines and make them sentence case, not uppercase. When you use all capitals, it seems like you are “yelling”.
· Use action words and make the headline exciting. A headline has to speak volumes when someone reads it and it has to incite interest.
· Deliver a message in your headline that is relevant to the content of your page. People scan, they don’t read in depth. 8 out of 10 people will read the headline, but only two of those will read the rest of the content. Your headline needs to get your point across in very few words and those words need to be interesting.
· Write the headline first, then write the content to conform with that content. Squeeze pages that sell are ones that contain compelling headlines.
· There are several formats of headlines that are wildly successful over others. Some of the best headlines start out like this: “Who else wants _____”, “Little known ways to _______ “, “Here’s a quick way to _______”, “What Everybody Ought to know about _____”, “The Secret of _____”. The key to these headlines is that they are interesting and provide good information to the reader, making them want to read more and learn more from your content.
Amongst the landing page design best practices, writing good copy is important. Good and relevant copy is what people want to read and it is what holds them on the page. You don’t have to write a lot of content, but it should all be relevant to what it is that you are promoting. Your domain name, your content and your chosen product should all be related. Search engines like Google reward webmasters for relevance, so if you want to see your landing page show up in the SERPs, then you need to stay within the area you are targeting.